Monday, February 16, 2009

In The Woods

One of the most haunted places in my area is a place called Old House Woods. I have heard stories about this area for several years so we decided that it was time to check it out...

In the day light that is. With all the stories I had heard I was not about to go here at night.
Here are a few of the most famous stories.

Some of the recurring tales are about British Redcoats, pirates, skeletons in knights armor, mysterious groups of shoveler digging, ghost horses and cows which appear and disappear before one's eyes, a full rigged Spanish galleon which vanishes in thin air, mysterious floating lights in the woods similar to lantern light, and a "Storm Woman" who floats above the pines warning fishermen of impending gales.

Whew, that is enough to scare anyone. As you can see from the photos. These woods look creepy in the daylight.


Looking up and down the road in both directions.


The thick woods.







We didn't stay long and headed instead to the beach area where
Blackbeard, the famous pirate captain supposedly brought some of his treasure here to hide it. He forced several of his men to dig the hole at gunpoint. And then, he shot them, and threw their bodies in the pit with his takings. This is an old pirate superstition that is supposed to protect his treasure from thieves and other adventurers. And some have claimed to have seen men, madly digging in the night,
while another person supervises with his pistol in hand










I've heard the stories of how people digging for the treasure disappear never to be seen again. I wasn't about to take any chances, but.....Ok I confess. I did take one of these pretty shells for a souvenir. Shhhh don't tell anyone. I am not sure how good of a pirate I would make if one of these ghost takes me out to sea on the mysterious ship that has been seen in the area.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Debbie said...

I don't blame you. I wouldn't of gone through the woods either! hehe Now the beach I could do. I love hearing the waves. I would so love to go to some of these places with you.

Debbie

February 16, 2009 at 7:48 AM  
Blogger Betsy Banks Adams said...

Neat way to spend a day, Patty... I would love being back in those woods--but like you, in the daytime only. Did you feel any 'vibes'????

The beach looks nice. Glad you got a shell.. Did you put it up to your ear and let it talk to you??? It may tell you all of the secrets of the area.

Glad you had fun!!!! Love that picture of you, friend.
Hugs,
Betsy

February 16, 2009 at 10:47 AM  
Blogger Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Patty,

I keep adding to my list of places to visit next time I'm down that way.

Nice pictures of the woods and the Rosewell Ruins.

February 16, 2009 at 7:53 PM  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I love to explore the woods and around here which is real easy to do.
Living by salt water do you know any mermaid stories?

Coffee is on.

February 16, 2009 at 11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ACKKK!!!
LOVE it!!
What powerful pictures of those woods, and you're right - they are creepy even in the day time.
I believe in all these things and I must say the "storm woman" gives me the shivers!

I love your stories of ghosts and hauntings...I must remember to come to your blogs each night for a bedtime story!!!

Hope your shell isn't haunted!
((hugs)))

*thanks so much for your support and kind words on my blog-stalkers post!

February 17, 2009 at 12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ewwww those woods do look creepy. Like something from Blair Witch Project! LOL

Wonder how many of those stories are true??? And more importantly (to me anyway! LOL) is...if they are true...what does it all mean? WHY such freaky goings on?

Are they like energetic footprints that people just wander upon?

February 19, 2009 at 12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ewwww those woods do look creepy. Like something from Blair Witch Project! LOL

Wonder how many of those stories are true??? And more importantly (to me anyway! LOL) is...if they are true...what does it all mean? WHY such freaky goings on?

Are they like energetic footprints that people just wander upon?

February 19, 2009 at 12:58 PM  
Blogger Nydia said...

Thank you for your words about Lucas, Autumn, they warmed my heart and I treasured them. I did told him what you said, and he gave me that smile of understanding.

Kisses from us.

February 20, 2009 at 1:35 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Well, Patty,

I don't know about ghostly happenings but I do know I would love to tramp with you through woods that are not deep in SNOW!!! Hope your VA weather is headed toward spring. My girl, you know, lives in Alexandria, and it has been pretty nice there - compared to us, that is!

February 20, 2009 at 9:52 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

That sounds like a very haunted area!

February 23, 2009 at 11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home