Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Confederate Field Hopstials



Here are more of the beautiful homes and barns used as field hosptials in Gettysburg PA. These photos show area's used by the Confederate troops.
The land is calm now, and the homes and beautiful, but my mind is filled with the horror of what it must have been like in the days following this terrible battle. While searching on google for one of the locations I found the following article, I hope you will take a few mintues to read it.
Field Hospitals

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Sharon Day said...

Gettysburg is awesome. I grew up near Bull Run and it had none of the feel that Gettysburg does. I grew up in a Civil War Field Hospital. It was taken over by the North and then taken back by the South--so both sides died there. It was seriously haunted.

April 21, 2010 at 3:04 PM  
Blogger KathyA said...

I think that the earth has memory of the horror that took place there and the peace is only on the surface. I always get a feeling of underlying unrest when I visit Sharpsburg or Gettysburg. Have you ever felt that?

April 24, 2010 at 9:19 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

If only the walls could talk, imagine the stories they could tell of what went on within those walls. As you say, one can't even imagine what it was like when the wars were going on. Whenever I go to the Drummondhill Cemetery in Niagara Falls, where the bloodiest battle from the war of 1812 took place, I close my eyes and imagine what it must have been like. Loved seeing all your pictures. xoxo

April 24, 2010 at 5:26 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

That feeling of unrest that Kathy mentioned is something that I always notice, too. The land was as scarred as the soldiers who fought and died there and no doubt still has a lot of healing to do even all these years later.

April 26, 2010 at 9:20 PM  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

well...lookat here.. you've been found again...how ya been?...

May 18, 2010 at 10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home