Monday, May 12, 2008

Chic Chat and some local history

I hope everyone had a nice mother's day. Mine was good. We went to visit my mom and it was really nice to have all the family together. We took a lot of photos of everyone. We did the generation thing, which included my mom, my brother, sister and my self and our kids and grandkids. We had lunch and enjoyed a nice time visiting. We rode with my daughter and on the way home started talking about how we missed living in Va. Beach, but was glad we had moved to this area (we are about 45 minutes away) because of all the history here.

I LOVE being so close to Williamburg, Jamestown, Yorktown and being able to go any time I want. My daughter then asked me if I knew she cleaned a house that is in a neighborhood where one of our old plantations once stood. It seems that one of her customers lives on the land where Denbigh, best known of the Warwick Plantations was so named and was the seat of Capt. Mathews, who in 1626 is recorded as having taken up land in the Blunt Point area, calling his plantation "Mathew's Manor". He served as governor of Virginia from 1657-1660. A portion of the Denbigh plantation is now the Newport News City Farm.

The house my daughter cleans is not the original plantation but does stand on the original land. The spring-house (Well) is standing in her front yard, and an old graveyard is in her backyard. Just across the back drive is the site of the original structure once stood. It is preserved by the historic people now but you can walk up and see it.
I love this type of thing, so I got out of the car (in the rain) and took photos.
Here they are.




Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Kimmie said...

Oh Patty,
These are such great pictures! I love all the old historical places. You are so lucky to live so close to all of it. Thank You for sharing!
Smiles,
Kimmie

May 17, 2008 at 1:02 AM  
Blogger Kim Campbell said...

Wow. You'd never be alone...or lonley with a cemetary in your yard! lol!

I have always wanted to visit Williamsburg....

May 17, 2008 at 6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home