Saturday, April 25, 2009

Ghost In Gettysburg

As any of you know who follow my blog on a regular basis I love ghost stories and ghost hunting.  I would be lying if I told you that I was only going to Gettysburg for the history, because a big part of why I am returning again is for the ghost.  Last year my husband and I visited the George house. It has now been turned into an old time photo studio. The current owner and I spent a few minutes talking about the following story and I was shown where the body of Major Reynolds had laid. It was a bit eerie to say the lest.

The following story was stolen borrowed from the Internet

This story was written about in the the excellent Ghosts of Gettysburg series of books written by Mark Nesbitt According to the story, two women tourists were walking past the George House late one night and, since it was currently a craft shop, they stopped and looked into the front window. What they saw was very curious--an empty room except for a woman, dressed in black, sitting in a rocking chair and a man lying on a cot who appeared to be quite dead. The woman seemed to be holding a vigil.The next day, the two women returned to the shop and were very surprised to see it filled with crafts and looking very different from the night before. When they asked the shopkeeper about the wax figures that they had seen the previous evening, the shopkeeper told them they had never had any such figures and this was, after all, a craft store. The tourists, however, were adamant about what they had seen and even knew of a door they had seen the previous night that was now completely hidden by pegboard.
So, how was this possible? How could these two women have seen what they were absolutely certain they had seen? Oddly enough, the most likely answer seems to come from the pages of Gettysburg's history, or more precisely, Gettysburg's "haunted history."

As historic records can confirm, the George House was the exact location that soldiers took the body of Maj. Gen. John F. Reynolds after they carried his lifeless body off the battlefield on July 1, 1863. Reynolds' body was left in the house's small sitting room for many hours while his aides made funeral arrangements. Since Reynolds was a high ranking Union officer deserving of high honors, it is easy to believe that his remains would not be left unattended. As strange as it seems, it appears that the two women tourists happened upon some sort of rift in time that allowed them, for just a little while, to become observers of this very sad and historic moment.


Photo of plaque taken outside the George House, Gettysburg PA. Sept. 24, 2008  (Sorry I don’t have a good photo of the house itself. That is on my list of photo shoots for this up coming trip)

Labels: ,


Blogger peppylady said...

Now I know who the first Union officer killed at Gettysburg.

Coffee is on.

April 25, 2009 at 4:54 PM  
Blogger Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

What an interesting story. Wouldn't you love to see Maj. Gen. Reynolds?

April 25, 2009 at 8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home