Sunday, May 25, 2008

Visiting with Aunt Pratt


We had a wonderful time today at the Shirley Plantation and the highlight of course was seeing the portrait of Aunt Pratt. She sat in her place of honor in the first floor bedroom overlooking the beautiful James River.
I have to admit the picture gave me the creeps. There was just something about it that kept me from starting at it for more than a few seconds at a time. Maybe it was the stories I had read, or maybe it was her eyes. All I know was I didn't like her and neither did my grandson. The entire time we were in the room he seemed very uneasy and while the guide was telling us the story of the portrait I walked him over to the window to look out. When we got ready to leave the room my daughter and I both asked him if he liked her (Aunt Pratt) and he said no. I asked him if he saw her and he said yes. I then asked him where he saw her at and he pointed into the foyer way. I took him out there and asked him where, and he pointed to the stairs. We had not gone up there at all during the tour. Once we got outside he was very clingy for a few minutes and he sat on the bench on the porch. I rubbed his back for a few minutes and before long he was ok again and ready to get down and play. He loved walking around the ground but definitely did not like the inside of that house.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home