Sunday, June 7, 2009

Shiver me timbers! Pirates are everywhere!

Dean and I attended the annual Blackbeard festival in Hampton VA. this afternoon.
It was the first time we had been and we had a fun time visiting all the vendors, smelling all the food and checking out the pirates. There was an area just for kids, and several stages set up with shows. All in all we had a nice time. Next year I want to go with more money because I did find that most of the crafts were a bit different than what I usually see at festivals. This evening we are just sitting around relaxing....Awww summer time is here














The Blackbeard Legend
Once a bustling seaport, Hampton was the doorway to commerce for the colonies. Between the export of tobacco to England and the import of manufactured commodities, Hampton's waterfront became a prime target for one of the fiercest and most successful pirates of the Caribbean, Blackbeard. Legend has it that when Blackbeard was finally defeated by the Royal Navy, his head was mounted on a post at the mouth of the Hampton Harbor warning all other Pirates of their impending fate. Today, it is Hampton's fame as an important colonial seaport and Blackbeard's demise that the city celebrates.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kim Campbell said...

How fun! I'm going around and trying to catch up.

ALL of my family photos from the turn of the century, have no one smiling. In one, they added an extra person so there wouldn't be 13! lol!

June 7, 2009 at 9:16 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

It sounds and looks like a wonderful time. I love things like that. Thank you for sharing!

Take Care,
Debbie

June 8, 2009 at 7:48 AM  
Blogger dot said...

Looks like a really fun festival. I love the picture below even if you aren't smiling.
Thanks for all your visits. I can't seem to keep up with the blogging any more.

June 8, 2009 at 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home