Sunday, May 31, 2009

Flags Everywhere













Finding myself in a place like Gettysburg PA for Memorial Day weekend was really exciting. I had done my homework so I already knew that they were having a Parade downtown and also that the National Cemetery would be decorated in flags. 6,000 individuals who served in a number of American wars, from the Mexican-American War to the present day are buried there. Out of these 3,512 Union soldiers are buried in the cemetery; of these, 979 are unknown.

Let me tell you that seeing that many flags is a bit overwhelming. Everywhere you looked was a flag. Knowing all those Union Soldiers were killed all around where we were was overwhelming. Knowing that the Rebel Soldiers are somewhere else buried all across the south.....Overwhelming..

So many men died in three short days.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tipper said...

Would love to visit the cemetary someday-a very powerful place to be for Memorial Day-or really for any day.

June 1, 2009 at 11:29 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Just seeing the pictures of all those flags at every tombstone brought a lump to my throat so I can well imagine how touching it was seeing it in person! When I go visit Niagara Falls and where they had the War of 1812, it never ceases to amaze me that so many soldiers died at the spot I'm standing. xoxo

June 1, 2009 at 3:03 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I get too emotional about stuff like that.

June 1, 2009 at 9:48 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Wow. That is a lot of flags but I am so glad that they take the time to put them out; it would be a shame if economic cutbacks ever took that away.

Makes you feel pretty humble to know that many men fought and died to ensure our future freedom, doesn't it?

June 2, 2009 at 8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home