Friday, May 29, 2009

A rough start

Before you start reading please note that you will need to double click on all photos to enlarge them. Please do that so you can fully see the details..

Well I am home from Gettysburg and let me tell you this trip was a really rough one. We had a good time, but it seemed that nothing went right while we were there. As you know we opted to take my daughter and grandson with us this time and because my daughter’s car is in better condition than ours she was driving. Well the night before we were suppose to leave her car started over-hearting. I had a feeling that it might be something serious, but we packed it anyway and headed to the local Mickey D’s for breakfast. We were in line at the drive through and sure enough the car started over-heating again. At this point we had two choices, either go in our car, which had no gas or fresh oil and really needs a timing belt or stay home. We already had the trip planned so I was about to pack everything into my car when Rebecca called her dad. She talked with him a few minutes and my ex offered us his car for the five days. (Have I mentioned lately that in spite of the divorce I really do have a great ex-husband)

We loaded up his car and finally arrived at our campground about 2:30 in the afternoon. Several hours later than we had originally hoped for but hey we were there!



We weren't sure what to expect as far as our cabin because we were in the over flow area, but it turned out that it was a great area. We not only had a cabin but we were in the area usually used by groups so we got a fence and a pavilion with fans and lights and even a refrigerator. We had two port-a-potty's and were near the field that the horses grazed in each day.(Photos to follow in later post)

We quickly unpacked and decided to start out the trip at the visitor center. Being the Saturday before Memorial Day, we soon found that we were not the only ones with that idea and found ourselves in the middle of a crowd. We also found that the museum area which had been free last fall when my husband and I made our first visit, now had a Five dollar fee. Since there were other things we wanted to do that day we opted to go back another time and just took a quick look around the gift shop.  My grandson being a typical little boy went straight to the hats and guns. He looked so cute in his  little Rebel hat that we couldn’t resist and  his mom bought it for him


From there we went to the Leister House which was used as General Meade’s Headquarters during the three day battle.IMG_7569

We were lucky enough to find a group of Civil War re-enactors camping out there. They had set up their tents along the fence.



I was glad to know I had a bed waiting for me at the campground.


We left Meade’s Headquarters and took a drive around the battlefield stopping where General John Reynolds had been shot from his horse on the first day. Several people had left flowers at his memorial and when we explained to Cody what had happened there he wanted to leave something too. We found some wildflowers for him and he gently placed them next to the others.


By then we were getting tired and hungry and decided to head back to the campground to settle down awhile and have something to eat.

When we arrived we found that someone had stolen the flags that we had bought and placed beside the larger flag pole. We had placed both an American Flag and a Rebel Flag to honor both sides in this tragic battle.  I couldn’t believe someone had taken them. We reported it to the office and they were nice enough to give us a new set.



To be Continued……

Labels: , , ,


Blogger peppylady said...

So glad your back safely. After your ruff start I bet you had a wonderful time.

Coffee is on.

May 29, 2009 at 10:24 PM  
Blogger Goat Creek Grandma said...

Despite the trouble in the beginning, it sounds like you had a good time. I miss camping... Are we going to hear any ghost stories? :)


May 30, 2009 at 8:13 AM  
Blogger PEA said...

Don't you know a trip is not a trip unless sometimes happens to either delay the start of it or to have something happen in the middle of it? lol Glad to hear that things ended up going well and that you had such a lovely time! xoxo

June 1, 2009 at 3:07 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I can't believe that someone stole your flags. Despicable!

It looks like you had a great time in spite of the rough start. All of these pictures sure do make me want to get back down to Gettysburg myself but I guess I need to be patient until Fall.

June 2, 2009 at 9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home