Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Still In Love

On Oct. 9th, my husband Dean and I will celebrate 11 years from the day we first met. Or I should say met in person. We actually had "met" a little over a year or so before that, just briefly in a chat room on the Internet. I was going through a lot at the time, and was chatting with a lot of different people. He was just a name on the chat list. Months went by, my ex and I were fighting more and more. We made one final attempt to save that marriage by moving from Knoxville TN. back home to Virginia. Some time passed and one day while on the computer I once again noticed a familiar nickname. I honestly don't remember who messaged who first, but what I do remember is how he was always there for me. Listening at first to me whine and complain about how unhappy I was. He tired to encourage me to make a go of my quickly failing marriage. Trying to keep me smiling, sending me jokes, being there when I needed a friend. As time went on the marriage to the ex reached the point of no return and along that way my heart had started to beat for Dean and Dean alone. I did one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I sat my husband and kids down and told them that I planned on going to met a stranger off the computer.
No one was happy, Dean and I were both scared. Should we take the chance?
What would happen if it didn't work. A million questions raced through my head. My heart somehow won and I bought tickets to fly out to Salt Lake City. I flew straight into the arms of a wonderful loving man, with a big smile on his face and a dozen red roses in his hand. The next day was my birthday, and we shared a wonderful weekend getting to know each other.
All to soon I had to fly home. The next week I was living in a motel where I remained for six weeks until I once again flew out to Dean. This time he had everything he owned packed and we traveled together back here to Virginia. We moved in together in Dec. 1998 and I have tried not to look back. I wont sugar coat it and say that it has always been easy, because it hasn't. I have learned over the years that I should have done things different. Let more time pass before I jumped from one relationship to another. But Dean and my love has never wavered. It has remained strong and true.
So this year on my birthday, I will once again spend time with him. We will travel not to Utah or to VA. but to Gettysburg PA. We have a cabin booked, just the two of us..
*Wink*

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Congratulations! I met my hubby in a chatroom, too, about 12 years ago, but I couldn't face telling anyone that I was meeting someone from the internet (not nearly as common back then, right?) plus I was afraid if it didn't work out I would lose the ONE person who truly loved me and was always there. So I had other relationships, made big mistakes, etc and finally called my Patrick in 2007, he packed everything up and moved to VA from Missouri; right into my apartment the first day we met. lol A year later we were married. Bliss. LOVE your story so much. Have a great time in Gettysburg!

September 29, 2009 at 8:56 AM  
Blogger KathyA said...

Love is not always timely. Great that you followed your instincts.

September 29, 2009 at 9:37 AM  
Blogger Sharon Day said...

Love trumps everything else! Congrats! Have a super fantastic time. Your happiness is well deserved :-)

September 29, 2009 at 10:19 AM  
Blogger Deborah Wilson said...

I hope you and Dean have many more happy years together :) I believe that for every person there is only one soul mate in this world - and that many times when a marriage doesn't work out, it's not really one or the others fault, it just means that you both are with the wrong person.

September 29, 2009 at 1:00 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

Congrats Patty and Dean! I just celebrated 9 married (13 years together) years with my husband. I met him through an internet friend. I know what you mean about not looking back. I wouldn't either.
Many,many, many more years of bliss!

Blessings~~
Raven

September 29, 2009 at 8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home