Sunday, July 16, 2006

Out for a ride

My husband and I took the new car out today. I can't even begin to tell you how wonderful it was to ride in a car that not only has air conditioning but windows that roll down! The old one I had been driving was not only on its last leg, it had no air, and the passenger window was stuck, so there was no way to roll it down. I'm sure it just needed a new motor but I didn't have the extra cash floating around to have it fixed. Anyway I felt like a queen in the royal coach today. We took off about noon and headed to Gloucester Country, home of the Indian Chief Powhatan. Powhatan, was the father of POCAHONTAS and an intimate friend of Captain John Smith and John Rolfe. At the time of the English settlement of Jamestown (1607), Powhatan was consolidating 30 or more tribes of the confederacy from his capital, Werowocomoco, on the Pamunkey River, land which later became Gloucester and Mathews Counties. It was here that Powhatan built his home, According to legend, his daughter, Princess Pocahontas saved the gallant Captain John Smith from a tragic death at the hands of the Indians, and thus, entered the pages of Virginia's history. We road around awhile just enjoying the day. We did find one flea market while we were there and I was happy as a lark. Not only did they have an outside market but 16 antique deals. We walked around there for about an hour. I didn't buy much but did find a glass pitcher for a dollar. I had been looking for a new one for awhile to use for ice tea. You use to see them everywhere but plastic has taken over. Call me crazy, but tea just taste different when served and drank out of plastic. I also bought a bag of fresh pig rinds. Yummy. I haven't seen any home made ones since the ex and I lived in the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee. I got a bag marked mild. Thank goodness, because they are spicey. I wouldn't have been able to eat them if they were any worst. I did see a few things on the vendors tables I liked, but thought I would go back another day when my daughter is with me and I had a little bit more cash. I needed to watch my pennys today. With the down payment on the car and utility bills due I'm busted. Anyway all in all it was a nice day. Tonight was laundry night, so I went over to the ex hubbys checked on him, cooked some supper for everyone, gathered up the clothes, and my husband watched the grandson while my daughter and I went to the laundry mat. I just got home and sat down here to blog for a few minutes. I still have to iron some things for tomorrow and the house is a wreck. I haven't been home much the last two weeks and the messy fairies must have stopped by cause someone has cluttered up things ha ha. Anyway I hope everyone else is having a good weekend. Here are a few photos from today I'm not sure why the bee hives were in town. They were in several different places. I'm guessing they are a communtiy project of some kind. I thought they were interesting so I grabbed a couple of pictures of them. Just click on the thumbnails to enlarge them.

img_1111.JPGimg_1110.JPGimg_1108.JPGimg_1109.JPGimg_1105.JPGimg_1104.JPGimg_1103.JPGimg_1102.JPG



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home