Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Apple Pies

With my trip to Gettysburg coming up in just a few days my thoughts have turned to apples. Yes apples, I know I am a civil war buff, and a ghost hunting enthusiast, but today I am thinking with my stomach.
The National Apple Harvest Festival is taking place this weekend and we plan on being there.
Of course with a harvest festival for apples, guess what I plan on buying. Yep. Apples.
So that brings me to the thoughts of what I will do with them.  When I was growing up I can remember going to my grandmother's house for family reunions. We always had fried apple pies. Hers where made from dried apples, but I am sure I can find a way to convert the dried mixture into fresh apples.
When I get home from the trip I will try and find some other recipes to share with you, but today I leave you with this one. It is my grandmother's recipe and is probably close to 100 years old.


Grandma's Fired Apple Pies

1 pkg. dried fruit
pasty dough
1/2 to 1/2 cup sugar
1 c. Water
Oil for frying

Cook the dried fruit in the water until tender,making sure they do not stick to the bottom of the pan. Add the sugar to taste and mash with with a potato masher. Have teh pastry dough ready. I use Bisquick, its simple and tender. Roll the dough out very thin into a circle about the size of a coffee cup saucer. Spoon about 2 T. of the fruit filling onto the center of the pastry and fold in half. Crimp the edges with your fingers to seal in the filling. Heat a large skillet and add about 1/4 inch of oil. When the oil is hot, fry the pies one at a time, until golden brown on one side then turn the pies over and fry until golden brown on the other side.
Delicious hot or cold.
Makes 6-8 large pies.

Please note. I stole borrowed this photo from the Internet and in no way take credit for it.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger KathyA said...

And I'm sure your pies will look much more scrumptious!

October 7, 2009 at 12:51 PM  
Blogger jaz@octoberfarm said...

Mmmmmmmmm...hand pies!!!! have a great trip to gettysburg. i am on my way to salem! i hope you enjoy the apple festival as well. i love it! i have a really good recipe for an apple pie on my blog if you want to look at it. joyce

October 8, 2009 at 6:56 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

I should have Amanda and Darci read this post on our way to Gettysburg so they have some sort of clue as to what to expect - you've got some great facts in here!

See you Sunday night and let's hope a ghost or two joins us!

October 9, 2009 at 3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home