Saturday, April 28, 2007

Photo Hunt: RARE

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Please click on all the photos to enlarge them, so you can see more clearly what I have photographed


This weeks theme is Rare and I have to admit my first thought was a big juicy steak. The problem was I didn't have any steaks in the freezer and I couldn't think of anything else to use for a photo until the other day when my husband and I took a trip to Historic Jamestown Virginia.

In my post on April 26 I shared some photos and talked a little about my trip to Jamestown. I told my readers that I had some more photos to share but would not post them until today because what I photographed was RARE.

I think they are because we arrived on a day when ABC News was there doing a document for the 400th anniversary that is coming up on May 13, 2007.

We got there just in time to see some of the interviews that were going on.


Jamestown is located on the banks of the beautiful James River and you can tell that one of the camera men was enjoying the day.



We were lucky enough to witness some of the excavations of a new area. They were not sure at the time of the photos if they were digging an old well, but old wells are where most of the artifacts of that time period have been found. They did know that they had found something and we got to watch! It is very delicate work to sift through the layers of dirt in hopes of finding a RARE piece from the original settlement.







First the dirt was put into buckets where it was tagged


Then they are taken to a special area where it is placed a little bit at a time on a screen and washed.



If they find something it is set aside
Depending on what they find some pieces will be taken to another area and cleaned again then later placed in the museum here on the island.

As you can see from the following photos, several pieces of old pottery were found. Just look at that beautiful shade of green. It is hard to imagine this piece is probably 400 years old.

Can you see the tiny beads in the tray? They would have been used for trading with the Indians in the area.

There are some old nails there too. Do you see the bone?

Just take a look at this.

It is an old lock from a ship..What a RARE find!!

Thank you for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed viewing my photos as much as I enjoyed taking them for you. It was a fun day that I will remmeber for a long time.

Also don't forget you can join by going to the

  • page. Don't forget to check out the blog roll on my side bar so you can visit others who do the photo hunt.

    If you want to know more about Jamestown or view the other photos I took that day please see my post from April 26th.

    Labels: ,

    36 Comments:

    Blogger dot said...

    Really great photos you have posted! I enjoyed them. I had forgot your husband's children are in Waycross. Tina said there is another fire going now. They need rain so bad down there.

    April 27, 2007 at 12:35 PM  
    Blogger Heart of Rachel said...

    Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos. I think excavations are very interesting. Thanks for showing us some great and rare finds during the dig.

    April 27, 2007 at 1:25 PM  
    Blogger Carrie said...

    Oh I see. You saved the best for last. How exciting.

    April 27, 2007 at 2:50 PM  
    Blogger Carole Burant said...

    I've always said if I could do my life over again, I would become an archealogist!! Imagine how very exciting it must be to find something so rare that was buried for centuries! I so enjoyed looking at all these pictures...wonderful post for this weeks' photo hunt theme! xox

    April 27, 2007 at 5:14 PM  
    Blogger Lisa said...

    They are great photos and very rare pictures. Thanks for sharing. Happy weekend.

    April 27, 2007 at 6:19 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Great photos and perfect for rare! Thanks for sharing them!

    April 27, 2007 at 7:07 PM  
    Blogger Kelli said...

    How exciting to be able to watch a real treasure hunt!! Thank you for sharing the pictures with us!
    Kelli

    April 27, 2007 at 9:24 PM  
    Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

    Wow! That is really exciting that you got to see all those wonderful things! They certainly are rare--great find for this week's hunt!

    April 27, 2007 at 11:17 PM  
    Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

    I thought my dad side been in this country a long time. They came over on the Hercules the ship just right after the Mayflower.

    Your lucky live by such a great and rare place as James Town.

    Interesting and great pictures.

    I understand about work and why things have to happen the way the do.

    I'll have my photo hunt picture up tomorrow.

    April 27, 2007 at 11:51 PM  
    Blogger Jenn in Holland said...

    That is a very cool series of photos. Indeed some rare sightings. Thanks for the education bits as well. I have to tell you, I had that same "first idea" about doing a big steak! ha!

    April 28, 2007 at 1:08 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow - what a great experience.

    Happy Weekend!

    April 28, 2007 at 3:18 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thank you. It is so exciting reading this post and watching this archeology post.

    April 28, 2007 at 5:00 AM  
    Blogger GEWELS said...

    Nice series of photos.
    Happy hunting!

    April 28, 2007 at 7:00 AM  
    Blogger soccer mom in denial said...

    Thanks for visiting me. I just love Jamestown. We were last there a few years ago.

    And some pretty awesome finds.

    April 28, 2007 at 7:32 AM  
    Blogger Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

    You did go on a RARE day didnt you? How fun. I would have loved being there on that day too. Thanks for stopping by on this photo hunt Saturday...Sandy

    April 28, 2007 at 7:49 AM  
    Blogger jennyr said...

    hey, they're showing the document on my bday?hehehe! pretty cool photos!

    April 28, 2007 at 8:26 AM  
    Blogger srp said...

    These are all great photos and a wonderful history lesson.
    Another rare event ..... the Queen is coming to Williamsburg and Jamestown. My daughter says she hopes they don't take her to Yorktown.. too many bad memories there with the British surrender and all.

    April 28, 2007 at 9:23 AM  
    Blogger Ligeia said...

    Ok, like, WOW. Incredible stuff! I, too, am a history buff when it comes to things in VA. Thank you for sharing!

    April 28, 2007 at 9:41 AM  
    Blogger Gattina said...

    Very interesting ! you have been lucky to see all this !

    April 28, 2007 at 10:16 AM  
    Blogger Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

    Wonderful series of photos! The excavations must have been amazing to watch. Very cool and rare indeed!

    April 28, 2007 at 10:28 AM  
    Blogger Cheryl said...

    Oh, now that is rare! I have seen local crews, but never the big networks. Awesome!

    April 28, 2007 at 10:30 AM  
    Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

    What amazing photos! I love the ones from the dig. It's amazing all of the rare things they found :)

    April 28, 2007 at 11:01 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow, Autumn so amazing! What a RARE place to be able to visit. It's amazing that you were able to be there at the same time as the ABC crew!

    Thanks for stopping by my photo hunt.

    April 28, 2007 at 12:09 PM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    Great shots! :-)

    April 28, 2007 at 12:25 PM  
    Blogger Tammy said...

    Awesome post my friend!

    April 28, 2007 at 1:44 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    WOW, those are REALLY cool! I visited Jamestown when I was in High School, it was an amazing trip and one I hope to take my kids on before they are too old to enjoy it. I loved your pictures, thank you for sharing them! I have my rare entry up, stop by and visit if you can!
    ~Holly~

    April 28, 2007 at 5:25 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How neat to be able to observe that process!

    April 28, 2007 at 6:02 PM  
    Blogger Suzie Ridler said...

    You did so great! Talk about rare, catching them finding those beads and pottery...what could be more rare than that?

    April 28, 2007 at 6:44 PM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    Loved these phots..Hubby and I went to Williamsburg in October


    Hope you can participate in the BLogging Scavenger Hunt Starting Monday! Would love to see you there!

    April 28, 2007 at 11:14 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Lots of great (rare) photos!

    April 29, 2007 at 1:32 AM  
    Blogger Biker Betty said...

    Weren't you lucky to catch all that. Digs have many processes to go thru and you did a great job catching them all. My photo is up also.

    April 29, 2007 at 1:37 AM  
    Blogger Jennifer said...

    Awesome photos! How cool that you got to be there to see all that!

    April 29, 2007 at 11:37 AM  
    Blogger MaR said...

    Great pictures, love the old lock!!!
    happy weekend :)

    April 29, 2007 at 11:52 AM  
    Blogger Andree said...

    Thank you for such a great post! I have read about their discoveries in the wells there. Your photos are meaningful and clear.

    April 29, 2007 at 9:40 PM  
    Blogger Teena in Toronto said...

    So interesting!

    Mine's up too.

    April 29, 2007 at 10:58 PM  
    Blogger Alice (in BC Canada) said...

    Great stuff! Wonderful take on "rare", Autumn. I really enjoyed the read and the photos. I'm a bit behind, but finally made it by, lol. Thanks for visiting my Photo Hunter post.

    May 2, 2007 at 2:25 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home