Sunday, July 22, 2007

and the winner is

Among the votes for what I was going to do this weekend were a trip to VA. Beach. A tour of a local plantation and a ferry ride. The only way I could pick when it came right down to it was write them down on a paper and pick one out.(Sorry I didn't think to take photos)....The winner was the ferry trip.




As it turned out this was the perfect thing to do. The weather was beautiful as we set sail from Jamestown. In just a few short minutes we arrived in Surry and noticed signs pointing to the
Peanut, Pork and Pine Festival. Not knowing what to expect we followed them and found ourselves at Chippokes Plantation State Park
We had never been to the park so I was excited.
What we found was a gorgeous area with a really nice campground (that we plan on going back and checking out this fall). They also have a pool, and lots and lots of hiking trails along the James River, with picnic tables near the shore.
After checking all this out we went on down the path towards the festival itself.
What we found there was a lot of fun. Rows and rows of crafts and yummy food. We opted for a bar be que sandwich with slaw, chips and a drink. At only 11 dollars for the both of us we were happy because I expected it to be more. We also split a funnel cake, which proved to be a bit more pricey at five bucks, but I only have those when I go to something like this so it was worth it. Yummy!


The best part of the day was...
Chippokes is a working farm, and the exhibits were open for free. We were able to tour A PLANTATION HOUSE. They wouldn't let me take photos inside but it is the red brick house in the photos.

Also we got a tour of the river house, and this is the one with the dirt floors and the fireplaces.
As you can see there were also displays of farm animals, and a lot of old tools and things used to keep a farm running.
We spent the entire day just looking at everything and enjoying the park.
We didn't get to see a light house this trip or go to the farmers market, but I hope everyone enjoyed what we did do...
Thanks for all the votes and for helping us have a nice day

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Wow, sounds like a wonderful day. Your photos are great, and I like the way you are displaying them ... I'll have to check out that site !!
Hope you have a great week.
Take care, Meow

July 23, 2007 at 1:05 AM  
Blogger E~li~si said...

It looks like you had a lovely time!
I love the "viewmaster" effect with your slideshows!
Your sky put on the same cloud show that we had yesterday...giant puffballs and some of them whispy as feathers...I wish I had taken some pictures myself.

July 23, 2007 at 5:25 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Sounds and looks like you had a fabulous day...I so enjoyed looking at all the pictures! What luck to come upon that festival after landing in Surry and also being able to visit the plantation itself!! I love places like that:-) I had my first funnel cake when I went to Atlantic City and oh boy, was it delicious!!!! xox

July 23, 2007 at 12:06 PM  
Blogger couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

I love the way you arranged your photos and very glad to hear you had a lovely day!

July 23, 2007 at 12:55 PM  
Blogger Suzie Ridler said...

What a great day and cool way to display your photos! I love funnel cake too BTW, yummy. What a treat. I love it when things aren't ridiculously expensive and eating for $10 isn't bad these days, we did that at Tim Hortons on the weekend. Probably not as good as what you got though!

July 23, 2007 at 1:16 PM  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

One thing about blogs I get to see and learn about new places.

July 23, 2007 at 5:30 PM  
Blogger Lila Rostenberg said...

A fellow Libra (in my 50's too)just stopping by to say "Hi!"
Looks like you have had some lovely summer weather...I need to get away from the computer and enjoy our lovely day here!!!!

July 24, 2007 at 10:36 AM  
Blogger Lila Rostenberg said...

Oh, I forgot to say...I really like your blog header banner! Have you written about the art or is it your art?

July 24, 2007 at 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home