Thursday, March 5, 2009

Thursday Thoughts

I was probably about 13 so it must have been around 1967 It was summer and we had gone to Heard Co. GA. to see grandma and grandpa. As usual when we were their all the Aunts, Uncles and cousins came. This particular year grandpa had planted peppers on the land just up the road from the house. It was harvest day and everyone was in the fields picking the peppers. Of course us kids had to help too, but like kids anywhere we wanted to play not pick.
Off in a a corner by themselves were some watermelons. I can't remember who's idea it was to bust the first melon, but when we discovered it wasn't ripe we busted another, and another, and another. Now I was a city kid so I had no way of knowing if those mellows were green or red inside, so I am innocent in all of this (ha ha) However the others my age were country boys and knew better. But being kids overshadowed knowledge. Of course it didn't take long before one of the adults saw what we were doing. Not only did we get yelled at. I remember one cousin for sure got a whipping. I am not sure if the other boys did. I remember feeling bad, because I was in on it.
Funny how little things like that stick with you an entire life time

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

I was a city girl but I damn sure knew what was what or I got a switch after me. LOL

March 5, 2009 at 8:15 PM  
Blogger Betsy Banks Adams said...

I love memories, Patty. I have alot just like yours. I remember one time playing with the little boy across the street. His names was Tony Hicks.. We played together alot--but the time I remember the most was when he ran after me with a HUGE stick in his hand. I thought he was going to hit me with it. I ran home and told my Mama. (Don't think she believed me though! ha)

Hugs,
Betsy

March 5, 2009 at 11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home