Tuesday, August 1, 2006

Blessed Lughnasadh

Blessed Lughnasadh to all my Pagan readers.

Lughnassadh (pronounced "LOO-nahs-ah") or Lammas, is one of the Greater Wiccan Sabbats and is usually celebrated on August 1st or 2nd. It is a Celtic festival held in honor of the Sun God Lugh (pronounced "Loo") Traditional Pagan Foods for the Lughnassadh Festival include homemade breads (wheat, oat and especially cornbread), corn, potatoes, berry pies, barley cakes, nuts, wild berries, apples, rice, roasted lamb, acorns, crab apples, summer squash, turnips, oats, all grains and all First Harvest foods. Traditional drinks are elderberry wine, ale and meadowsweet tea.

"Lammas Night"
Author Unknown

I stood before my altar at Lammastide, and asked the Lord and Lady to be my guides...

"Please show to me a vision that I may see... what sacrifice is worthy to give to Thee."

They showed to me an apple without a core... They showed to me a dwelling without a door... They showed to me a palace where They may be, and unlock it without a key...

How can there be an apple without a core? How can there be a dwelling without a door?

How can there be a palace where They may be, and They may unlock it without a key? ..

My spirit is an apple without a core... ...My mind is a dwelling without a door... My heart is a palace where They may be, and unlock it without a key...

I stood before my altar on Lammas night... and gave my Lord and Lady bright... the sacrifice They asked for - with spirit free... Upon that Lammas evening, I gave Them me...

Blessed Be...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home